All Forums
 My Little Help Desk - ASP Help
 Active Server Pages
 download Farsi from MySQL database & ASP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

1 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  19:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is strange and I've been knocking myself out with it. I have a utf8 character set database storing English and Farsi characters. When displayed via a web browser and through MySQL queries in the MySQL shell all characters are displayed properly. However, when retrieving data via ASP all of the non-English characters come out as question marks, e.g., "?". (If I look at non-downloaded Farsi characters via my web browser they are fine. If I look at the database characters with phpMyAdmin - 2.11.6 they are fine. It's only when I've downloaded them while in the browser that they become ? marks. )

I have:

meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"

in the header and:

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
""; dir="rtl" lang="fa"

before the header.

I also have

p dir="rtl" lang="fa"

around the Farsi string downloaded.

If I did not see the Farsi characters on the webpage without the download - or the Farsi characters in the database I could understand it. As it is I've tried everything I can think of - and somethings I even know are wrong - with no results. I expect it's something easy, but I cannot find it.

Thanks to all.

1 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  10:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just tried the same thing with Danish. The result was that the special Danish characters, like æ, å, ä, ø, ö, did not work. Rather they showed up as a Question Mark with a black rectangle on a corner. As opposed to a regular Question Mark with the Farsi.
Go to Top of Page

28 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  16:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please post the code. You probably need to set the charset in VBscripts, as client side in header is after the processing occurs.
Go to Top of Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
My Little Help Desk - ASP Help Forum © Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000